Monday, February 05, 2007

Monday sounds a lot like Mundane...


Mundane
/múndáyn/ adj. 1. dull; routine. 2. of this world; worldly

Yes, it is Monday, and I cannot help, but agonize about my too Mondayn life. Is this abundant life? I am torn about being a layperson / believer in Christ. Sure we say that without laypeople that the ministry cannot go on, Churches would not be able to support themselves, so forth and so on. But, it is so hard to be believer and not get caught up in the comforts of layperson status. Sure I can say I’m blessed, but I also feel like I’m cursed. It makes so much more sense, to see mundane described as “of this world,” as I look back at years past.

When I say years past, I mean years! I have been working for 10 years now with 6 of those at my current employer. Yet, I feel less accomplished now then ever. I moved Nguyen and I out here, because it seemed like a good “career” move, and a blessing in disguised, since the outfit I worked for in Houston closed down shortly after we had left. Now, I’m getting my MBA at a reputable establishment (SMU as opposed to U of H in Clearlake, not to knock on U of H), so all seems like God’s directing, yet I am more lost then ever. We have been at Pantego Bible Church for most of our stay here in Fort Worth, and the worship is great, but the growth has been slow or non-existent. Is that the Churches fault, or mine...yes mine alone to bear as the “head of the household.” It’s okay though, I have figured it out, God intends us to use my new-found degree to go abroad to work and spread the gospel. Isn’t that a grand idea, now if I only knew how to get there before another 10 years go by.

So here lies the dilemma, is there an occupation outside of fulltime ministry that can take the Mondayn out of Mondays? How do you take up your cross without losing it in the midst of your 3 bedroom house, 2 car garage, 2.5 kids, and 401k? There are 520 Mondayn’s in 10 years of service...service to what is the question?

No comments: