Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Automatics vs. Eco Drives

I too have a vice for watches. Had I more time and the blanket approval from Nguyen to get as many watches from Shenzhen as my hearts desires, then I probably would have gotten one for every day of the week and two for Sundays. I know that the automatics are very popular in the upscale world of fashion and prestige, but do not over look some of the nice alternatives, like this Eco-Drive Citizen watch, which believe it or not runs completely on solar power. Citizen did not skimp on the features either. This watch has a perpetual calendar (including leap year), stop watch, alarm clock, local time, GMT and smart technology. It knows to conserve battery power by stopping the second hand at the 12 O’clock position when placed in the dark for a long duration, and then it jumps to the correct position as soon as it is exposed to light. Seiko also makes nice alternatives that look very fashionable, but of course they only make automatics also, so Citizen seems to have the patent locked for the Eco-Drives. Additionally, there are scales on the automatics, which I have discovered. There is the regular automatic, chronograph automatic and the relay automatic. The relay is the one you really want since it has a similar smart technology that the Eco-Drive has. We will have to trade notes on watches sometime. I don’t know about you, but my sickness comes from my dad who gets a new watch about every year.

2 comments:

akshung said...

Welcome to the blogosphere. Nice to know that other guys like watches. I've got no problem with Seiko's or Citizen's. Did you know that Seiko sells certain watches for over 3G's? Check out the Seiko Spring Drive...I think you'll like it.

The_T's said...

thanks for the tip on the Spring Drive, looks pretty cool, don't know if i can justify the price though. i'm really into the fake Tags in China, though i don't know if i should be supporting that industry, as a purist and all, and you would think i'd object, but i must confess, i have a Tag "Catibre", you guess which letter is incorrect.