Music – 6
Visuals - 4
Choreography – 4
Storyline – 7
We actually saw this on Broadway, so that in itself boosts review results. We had the exact opposite position as that of Les Miserables, instead we were front row. Even though the stage covered part of our view, the visuals and choreography were just outstanding. The engineer in me of course was awed by the innovation in the costumes. Even though the natural appeal is for a family outing or as an introduction to the arts for little ones, adults can still appreciate the amount of detail and thought that was put into this production.Music – 7
Visuals - 10
Choreography – 8
Storyline – 7
Andrew Lloyd Weber, need I say more? This is probably his best work ever, and the opening sequence just draws you in and the music is phenomenal. It is a very good mixture of drama, with a touch of comic relief and unforgettable music. If you aren’t a fan of operas, well this might just convince you to at least check one out. It worked on us, we saw “The Magic Flute” by no other than Wolfgang himself just last year. The movie production of Phantom has also added to its fame and a pretty decent rendition though as most movies never fully capture the book it was based on, the same goes for theater productions. Overall a wonderfully entertaining work of art that takes a poignant script about the cruelties of this world and elevates it into a masterpiece of music and visuals that had captivated audiences for years on Broadway, and I think for decades to come.
Music – 9
Visuals - 9
Choreography – 6
Storyline – 8
Miss Saigon is an often overlooked jewel of the theater. The opening sequence is also very good. I mean how often do you see a full size helicopter hovering on stage? The music is just captivating as it lures you into the emotion of the story. The harmonies are wonderfully done and the characters are well developed. I guess there is a slight bias being that Nguyen was born in Saigon, and how it is by God’s grace that she is here in America, so I feel a bit more attached to the storyline. I just think it does more than just entertain through music, visuals, drama, and litte comedy, but it exposes some of the real life problems in places beyond our borders. If you are looking to really be exposed to the world of theater, Miss Saigon is my number one pick. Of course I have only seen a limited number of works, 4 to be exact, so my range is a bit small, but none the less that’s how I rank them.
Music – 9
Visuals - 10
Choreography – 5
Storyline – 9
More to come soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment