Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The "Easy" Choice...

Well, I managed to talk myself out of going to church again this Sunday. Yup, this seems to be a growing trend, two weeks in a row! Why pray tell do you wonder that I would make such a decision. Simple, in our on-going quest for a church where we both can grow, serve, be inspired, be challenged, and draw closer to God, it has become easier to choose not to choose. I have found it more difficult to decide on a church to visit, than to just forego the entire experience all together. It’s okay with the age of technology, I’ve discovered that we can enjoy a perfectly good sermon (“Learning the Art of Listening” Luke 10:38-42) from the comfort of our home. And for our third Act, we will be skiing this Sunday, so the enevitable decision of a home church can be avoided, yet another week....whoooh that was close. Why can’t there be a CNET or Consumer Report on churches? Worship: average rating, Sermons: below average, so forth and so on. Or how about CNET’s value pick of the week? Did you know other than the address, it is really difficult to find out any information about a church unless it is one of these MEGA churches, where they have a team of internet specialists to razzle dazzle you with multi-media like a billboard in the middle of Vegas. Churches have almost become reflective of who you work for. Like for instance, if I mention who my employer is, most everyone has heard of them, and you feel proud to be a part of that organization, but yet you know deep down you are just one tiny gear in this big machine. Likewise, if you mentioned that you go to Billy Graham’s church, most everyone has heard of him, believer or not. Does your sense of belonging really increase with that recognition? But enough of my soap box, maybe if I gain a better grasp of the “Art of Listening”, then next week won’t become such a chore.

1 comment:

Colossians128 said...

i'll bring you that book tomorrow.