Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Blogs...

The term "blog" is derived from "Web log." "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.

So here goes my anti-blog blog, if that makes any sense. I think...Mr. Ak Shung had something to say about this matter also, and hopefully I don't plagiarize anything off of his blog.

First, I have to categorize blogs into sub-sections. There is the commercial blog for people running a business or trying to popularize themselves on cyberspace (yes, supposedly there is a senator out there, who has his own myspace www.myspace.com/johnedwards). Then there is the “I don’t do html”, so this is an easy way to update you on my life blog. The most famous of them all is the journal / dairy into my life blog. Of course there are others, but the last one is really the one I want to focus on.

Why are blogs so popular? Is it because we want to unlock the vault of our lives with an unselfish act of vulnerability? Does everyone have hidden autobiographical talent longing to come out? Or is it because our lives are filled with so many empty relationships that this is the only way to connect to the masses? Hard to swallow isn’t it?

Again this is only the opinion of a fellow lost soul. I don’t only see a society of the desensitized, but a culture of the disconnected. Why do we resort to blogs, because it is a cry for connection. We are so lost that a face to face conversation is foreign to us. Instead we write an email, send a text message, or write a blog. I’m no different. I have resolved a many arguments with my wife through email. What hurt the most was that my father, though jokingly, shared how he was informed of my eminent engagement through no other than an email that I had sent him. Sad part about it, is that I didn’t even realized that I had done that.

So to sum things up, I’m not at all for blogs, not the least bit, but I am a product of my environment. It works for now, but will we recognize “the mark of the beast”, when we see it. I’m not so sure anymore.

No comments: