Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Taking heed...

Have you ever wondered how God speaks? Some say God speaks through His word the Holy Bible, others say through dreams, and there are some who say through other people, but for me it has been through my inability to control my vehicle. For this to make sense, I have to take you back to 1999, when I came off a call shift at my old job, and it was storming pretty bad and flooding was rampant throughout the greater Houston area. Well, I had the company car, which like many company cars isn’t very well maintained, so as I changed lanes on 288 northbound, I hydroplaned and I began my ballet like 180 on the freeway. I should have careened right into the median and do a couple of barrel rolls, but for some reason I didn’t. I believe God spared me. A few years later, wake up call number two hits me on the way to CCR (Career Christian Retreat), where I was about to miss the exit, so instead of waiting for the next one, I try to swerve in anyway. Soon, we (yes I had a passenger) were in the gravel trying to straighten out the vehicle, again I was spared. Well, here we are in 2007, and the message is getting louder, but this time I wasn’t spared and I wrecked our car, which will probably be totaled. As a double whammy, since the vehicle was paid off, and I figured I’m a good driver(?), so I don’t need anything but just liability. So, does God speak to us in these circumstances, possibly? The wrecker that towed our vehicle form Dallas to Fort Worth was really nice. We had a good conversation, but what got to me is when he asked me how old I was, and I made him guess, and he was right on. I asked him his age, and I guessed he was around 36-37, well he was 40. I complemented him on how young he looked, and I asked him if it was his job with all the exercise he gets. He said no, “It is God!” Some may say that is just a coincidence, but I must say, my closeness to God has faltered as of late.

It’s funny, because I got into an argument with Nguyen recently, because she has wanted a new laptop, and because I had been hording ours for my studies, and the one we have is getting pretty old. I told her we don’t need one since ours still works, well that same weekend, the laptop goes bad on us, and won’t boot up, because the two fans that cool it are shot. Okay, so now we have an excuse to look at new laptops, so she’s happy then my accident happens. It’s like God is saying, look you big dummy, that wasn’t the point when I allowed the laptop to go bad. You need to stop looking at these temporal things and you need to get you head out of your arss (that’s Irish). You are about to graduate from MBA school, and you still haven’t learned how to listen, so I’m going to have to talk a little louder now! What can I say, He seems to know how to talk my language, and it is different for everyone at least that’s my take on it.

Oh by the way, I am fine, but there was a little girl in the other vehicle that gashed up her head, but thankfully she didn't need to go to the hospital, and I'd be a mess right now if someone seriously got hurt, especially since I was at fault. This might be a bit harder nudge than previously given by God, but I'm thankful he didn't decide to body slam me. Don't get me wrong, I don't think God purposely makes things happen to us to teach us a lesson, but he sometimes doesn't allow things to go our way, if you know what I mean. Believe me; I definitely have been going right along my way for probably the past 4 years. So pray that God doesn't have to take his prodding to the next level.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Gabe, we are glad that you and the people in the other vehicle are okay. We've had God give us wake up calls just like that--like cars going into neighbor's garage doors! Looking forward to getting together with you guys soon.

akshung said...

Thank God you were all right, bro. How did the accident happen? Does this mean you will be getting another Acura?

JP said...

Hey cuz,

Why believe in God in the first place? I'm beginning to doubt he even exists. It's hard though to not believe. I want to believe but it's like "why pray when God already has a plan for you and me" "When we pray, will he actually intercede his plans to change things?" "Does he really speak to us, or do we just want him to speak to us?"

I don't know, just thoughts. I still pray though just in case or just by habit.

J

The_T's said...

hey j,

honestly that has always been a debatable topic. does prayer really change a divine being...is that even possible. so it has been suggested to me...that prayer is actually a means to change you and your perspective of God. like the time Jesus prayed to God, before his cruxifiction to take this cup away...in other words, pleading with God for another way to provide salavation. that prayer wasn't answered, but Jesus realize that his sacrifice would save countless others. so even God's only son's prayers weren't always answered, but Jesus was still blessed in being a part of something greater than himself. so that's why we pray, so that we can attest to God and his goodness. see if you don't pray then all things are up to chance, but when you do pray and it is answered, you are changed, and when it isn't answered, but 5 years later you realize why it wasn't answered, then again you are changed. i guess for me to deny a divine creator, only leaves me the option to believe that somehow we formed be some 1 in a million chance of just the right set of amino acids combining that led to life as we know it, well i'd rather take my chances on a divine creator, who has a great plan for me.

Maria said...

Gabe,
I think you're a good driver. I'm so sorry to hear about your accident but glad everyone is OK. You know I've had some wrecks and been spared in my time, like the brick mailbox of the house next door going through my windshield, but not hurting me. What a horrible feeling! I admire how openly you talk about your struggles with faith, and I pray that you find some peace in God's path.
Maria

Courtney said...

Time for a new post, Gabby!! :)